Monday, June 05, 2006

in the office

So, I've just started my first Office Job. Do I consider this my first "real job," after serving, nannying, and other various attemps to exchange time for a little cash? I'm not sure. After all, my first day amounted to a lot of web surfing, some answering of phones, a little paper shredding, and a dash of trying-to-look-busy.

On the other hand, it does have the most business-like dress code I've encountered to date and after my third day I even bought a new bag. Actually, it was a big Purse - also a first - so even if it was from Urban Outfitters I still feel like a middle aged woman with it hanging from my shoulder. I also caught myself contemplating what kind of shoes I should buy with my first paycheck. Shoes to wear to work, of course. To understand why these things are notable you have to understand that I am no stereotypical female, the greatest indicator being that I do not love shopping. In fact, aside from grocery shopping, I avoid all forms of it as others avoid the dentist. This is probably how I have managed to get by for twenty-four years without a Purse.

I certainly don't fit into this semi-staunchy office environment, yet I adore the idea of a steady, fat (relatively speaking) paycheck. And, as previously noted, I am going to need that fat paycheck to buy myself clothes and accessories to wear to work. Not to mention gas to get to work and drinks with which to relax and forget about work after the eight hours have ticked to a close. Hmmmmmm. We'll see how this all develops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home