Tuesday, July 25, 2006

new songs and faux pas

And now, three weeks and tons of writing later, I am listening to Boards of Canada. Nope, I haven't been writing on the blog. All of my writing energy has gone to a site that a few people might actually read. check it out: http://www.utne.com

Anyway, listening to a few tracks from "In a Beautifl Place Out in the Country." To me it sounds a bit like (dare I say it?) a Moby CD I got at his concert in 2000. Oh, I know a couple of music snobs who would resent that statement. But it's TRUE! It does remind me of that album and there's nothing anyone can do about it. That makes me happy. I like Moby, music snobs.

Here's another moment from the Faux Pas Factory. I was digging around in the recent arrivals in the library here at the magazine and I came across the new Vanity Fair. It has Hillary Swank on it looking kinda Fifties Starlet as she reclines, smiling on top of some big spherical object (a huge beach ball? what IS that thing?). So, being a little tired of reading all the "alternative/independent" publications that come through here, I decided to consume a little pop culture.

Well, I only got to read the first couple of paragraphs before my editor came in and put me to work. So, at the end of the day I grabbed the magazine and stuffed it in my bag, thinking, "No one here will miss this crap - I might as well get my fix." And no one did miss it...at least not for a day or two. And then on Friday the marketing director sent out a slightly annoyed email instructing whoever had the latest Vanity Fair to bring it to her office immediatly - she needed it for a marketing presentation!!! I couldn't believe it. Of course I hadn't remembered to bring the stupid thing back, and I couldn't very well just go home and get it because I had ridden my bike here like a good citizen of the world - it would take me at least forty minutes to ride home, scoop up the rag, and ride back. Besides, I was busy doing urgent intern work.

Needless to say, I felt pretty bad. Bad enough to remember to bring the magazine back on Monday, discreetly file it in its proper place, and act like I knew nothing about the incident at all. I think it's working so far.

1 Comments:

Blogger Urban Bella said...

I've seen the cover. I was tempted to buy it-- maybe I'll just steal it from my gynocologist's office or something...

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home